Warm weather is approaching which means hurricane season is upon us. Hurricane season lasts from June 1st through November 30th, and you should always have a plan of what to do before, during, and after the storm. Read more about our tips on hurricane AC preparation and make sure you add your HVAC system to your preparation list and know what to do to get it ready for hurricane season to help minimize damage.
We at POLAIR want to share these simple steps to keep your system as safe as possible during hurricane season. Always make sure to check the National Hurricane Center during storm season to stay safe.
Hurricane AC Preparation: Days Before the Storm
- Turn off your air conditioner. Before turning off your system lower you air a few degrees to get your home as cool as possible before shutting it off. As the storm approaches, shut off the power to protect it from an electrical surge.
- Consider investing in a backup generator. If your power is out after a storm, a generator will help get you through till your power is back.
- Cover your unit. If your system is outside, make sure to cover it with tarp, or plywood to protect the air conditioner from flying debris.
- Secure any outdoor system. With extreme winds, almost anything can be airlifted and cause damage. Make sure that you have the correct concrete slab and tie-downs installed to withstand the winds and remove any big or heavy items near your unit.
- Take care of your yard work. Trim your trees and make sure to cut any branches that could potentially damage your AC unit. This will protect your AC unit and make it easier to clean up debris.
After the Storm Passes
- Check your unit. DO NOT turn your HVAC unit on right away. Carefully check your unit for any flooding or damage.
- Remove any tarp, or plywood from your outside unit.
- Remove any debris that’s surrounding your unit.
- Schedule an appointment with your AC professional to ensure that your AC unit is running properly and see if any maintenance is required.
If you find yourself in need of AC repairs during hurricane season, you can count on POLAIR. We offer Emergency Repair Services to our customers until 9:30 pm. Call our professionals to help you at (561)-395-6400 or request service online.